February 11, 2012

Crisco Frosting

Crisco Frosting - From Isabel Ryea (my great grandmother)

Put in double boiler
1 cup cold milk
5 tablespoons flour
a pinch of salt
Cook until blended. Cool until cold.
Add
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup crisco
Beat altogether very well.
Then add 1 tablespoon of vanilla.

To make chocolate crisco frosting use 3 tablespoons and flour and 2 tablespoons cocoa instead of the 5 tablespoons flour listed above.

This recipe is from Aunt Nancy's cookbook. Actually she was my Great-grandmother's sister, so that means she was a great-grand aunt. I never knew Aunt Nancy Bouffard, she died back in 1957. Born Nancy Osborn in 1897, she was one of 17 children in a blended family. She kept a little recipe book that I now have. When I can decipher her hand writing I'll post a few recipes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment