December 25, 2013

Granny's Blueberry Buckle

I  recall having blueberry buckle with Granny* SO many times. When I moved away from the farm I mentioned blueberry buckle to friends... and I was surprised at how many people (almost everyone) who had never heard of such a thing. So, for those who have never had it - and for the family who miss it - here's Granny's recipe:
Beth Dykeman's Blueberry Buckle

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 cups well-drained blueberries

Mix together first 3 ingredients. Stir in milk. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend in blueberries and then fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture.

Sprinkle top with crumb mixture made from:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup soft butter

Bake in a 9 X 9 pan at 375 degrees for 45- 50 minutes.

*Granny, for those who aren't aware, was Velma Ellis Dykeman, my great-grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment